Cooking with kids... it might be messy (!) but it's not only a valuable life skill, it also helps children to develop a variety of motor and mental skills. What's more, cooking together as a family helps us to share and bond and creates a safe space where we all feel connected and comfortable with each other and can open up.
Mama Brown & Co contributor & seller Marta Conte, founder of Mummy's Little Chef children's cooking classes, shares a plaited bread recipe with a difference to keep the whole family entertained and connected in the kitchen.
- 700g strong bread flour
- 150ml warm water
- 30g unsalted butter
- 25g fresh yeast or 1 sachet fast-action yeast
- 10g salt
- 1 whisked egg
- 300ml milk
- 1tsp turmeric
- Mix the yeast and water.
- Add the mixture, the whisked egg, turmeric, milk and salt to the flour.
- Kneed for 10 minutes until you have a smooth dough.
- Cover the dough and let it rest for 1hr.
- Once the dough has risen, divide it into 3 or 4 equal portions.
- Take one portion and divide it into 3.
- On a flour surface roll each section to and fro to make a long rope.
- Repeat the process for the other sections.
- Pinch the 3 sections together at one end.
- Plait the ropes together, fairly loosely, then pic the ends together.
- Cover with a tea towel and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 200C.